Looking for me?

Still interested in keeping up with me and my life "after the aisle"?
Come visit me on my new blog, Heather Drive. I hope to see you all on the other side!

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

New Project: Jewelry

Well, I've decided to take on yet another DIY project. I'm going to attempt to make my own wedding day jewelry.

Am I insane? I don't know. Maybe.

Well, we'll find out, won't we?

Jewelry has been one of those things I'm not quite sure what to do about. The simpler things, like a strand of pearls, don't go with my dress. I'm not crazy about some of the fancier stuff I've seen. The things I've seen that I do like... it's either too cheap looking, or too expensive.

Then I saw the necklace of knottie L&R070707. I asked her where she bought it, because it was exactly what I was looking for. And what is the answer I got? Well, of course... she made it herself. The style of necklace is called a lariat, because it hangs down in the back. Here is her necklace, front and back (I LOVE the back):


So I'm now adding "jewelry maker" to my list of projects that I'm hoping my crafty alternate ego will be able to pull off. Lauren (L&R070707) was nice enough to make a list of all of her supplies, and answer any questions I have had so far about the mechanics of it all. She's also pointed me in the direction of some really helpful websites.

I'm planning on ordering the supplies tomorrow, and then we'll see how it goes from there. I'd also like to make a pair of matching earrings.

Here is more inspiration, a necklace from knottie demafia. She also made her own, and she was the inspiration for Lauren.

She didn't really have any photos of herself close up, but you can sorta see the necklace from the front in this pic. It has two strands, just like Lauren's.

Anyway, I'll be sure to post info up about my necklace and earrings project once I get the supplies in and give it a shot.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the necklace. It is what I have been looking for too. I have no idea how to make jewelry. Is it easy?

Heather said...

I don't know since I haven't attempted it yet.

From what I've seen, it looks challenging. If you're just stringing beads, it's not a big deal, but this particular necklace style involves cutting and shaping wire to make individual links.

I will be updating the blog once I get the materials in and get started, maybe even add some instructions, so check back!