Looking for me?

Still interested in keeping up with me and my life "after the aisle"?
Come visit me on my new blog, Heather Drive. I hope to see you all on the other side!

Monday, May 26, 2008

DIY Bridesmaid Jewelry

Hallelujah! I am finally done with my DIY bridesmaid jewelry (necklace and earrings).

There were a few times today when I wondered what the hell I had signed myself up for. I had completed three sets of the jewelry throughout the past week, but I did the other three today. I didn't have to, but I was bound and determined to finish them. I'm so excited to have this done and be able to check it off of my list. Now that we are under four weeks, I really need to be completing this stuff!

Here are some photos of the jewelry:



I got the idea for the design from knottie DennisBride08.

At first I was going to do the light aqua blue (that I did end up using) and a more turquoise-like blue that was darker like the dresses. However, when those beads came in, I didn't like them, so I decided to use leftover clear crystals that I had from my DIY lariat necklace. I really like how they turned out. It took me about an hour to an hour and a half to do each one.

I ordered all of my supplies from Fire Mountain Gems. Including the white cotton-filled boxes that I purchased to give the jewelry in, each set cost $17.60 to make. They are all sterling silver and Swarovski crystals, so I think that's a pretty damn good deal.

Here is a list of my supplies:

- 4 packs (of 12) Swarovski Aquamarine round beads (6mm) - Total of 48 beads, I used 7 per set of jewelry
- Leftover Swarovski Crystal AB bicone beads (4mm) - I used a total of 36 beads, 6 on each set of jewelry
- Leftover Swarovski Crystal AB bicone beads (3mm) - I used a total of 36 beads, 6 on each set of jewelry
- 18 Swarovski Aquamarine briolettes (11 x 10mm) - I used 3 for each set
- 2 packages (of 5 ft.) sterling silver wire, half hard, round, 24 gauge - I have no idea how much I used per necklace, but for the six necklaces, I used almost all of both packages.
- 2 packages (of 5 ft.) sterling silver 1.0mm round cable chain - When I purchased it, I figured on 18" of chain per necklace, just to be safe. I have a little bit of leftover, but I definitely needed the two packs.
- 2 packages (of 5 pairs) sterling silver earwire fishhook flat with coil - I used six pairs to make the girls' earrings, one set to make mine (obviously)
- 6 sterling silver lobster claw clasps (11 x 6.5mm with loop)
- I also used leftover jumprings (sterling silver, oval, 4 x 3mm) - I used two per necklace

Here are two tutorials that should explain everything you need to know in order to make this jewelry:
Simple Loop Instructions - To make the chain links that hold the beads
Wire Wrapped Triangle Bail - To make the "drops" at the end of the earrings and the necklace

I'm almost done with all of the bridesmaids' gifts! I have a little bit more shopping to do, but I'm in good shape. Today, I also picked up their flip flops at Old Navy to give to them so they can wear them to be more comfortable at the reception.

Checkity, check, check!

3 comments:

Dana said...

These are really pretty. I have enjoyed reading your blog.

tina said...

Congratulations! They look great. You'll be so proud that they're personal when you look back at the photos. Your girls will appreciate it too. Great job.

Unknown said...

How much chain (length) do you have between beads?