Looking for me?

Still interested in keeping up with me and my life "after the aisle"?
Come visit me on my new blog, Heather Drive. I hope to see you all on the other side!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

New Eyes

A week from now, I will have new eyes! Well, not literally. But hopefully I'll be at home recovering from very successful LASIK eye surgery.

I decided to go ahead and schedule the surgery for October 30. The more people I talked to about it, the more I heard how great it is, and I just have to put my faith in this doctor and hope that all goes well. I've done my research, I've had the testing and measurements done, and they say I'm at low risk for complications. They turn away 25% of their potential patients because they don't think they are ideal candidates... so they are picky in who they will go forward and perform the surgery on. That certainly makes me feel better. I just don't want to be one of those people in the fraction-of-a-percent who regrets that they ever had it done. So please keep your fingers crossed and pray for a safe surgery for me! I'll certainly be posting again, hopefully with the news of fantastic results.

So my appointment is at 2:40 p.m. next Tuesday. I'm expected to be there for about 1.5-2 hours for the surgery, and then I'm supposed to come home and rest my eyes for the remainder of the day/night by keeping them closed as much as possible. Can't really read, watch TV, or go on the computer, but I'm doubting that I'm going to want to. Supposedly it sorta feels like you have sand in your eyes, so I imagine it will be more comfortable with my eyes closed anyway. Plus, hopefully I'll have a few lasting effects from the Valium they give before the surgery, and I'll just want to sleep it off.

I will leave work early on Tuesday for the surgery. I took off on Wednesday and Thursday so I can adjust. You're not really supposed to sit staring at a computer screen (which is essentially what I do at work) for a few days after the surgery, so I figured I'd take the two full days following the surgery. I plan to go back to work on Friday, but that's tentative until I see how everything goes and how well I can see. My first post-op appointment is first thing on Wednesday morning, so I'll probably have a pretty good idea of how things are going by then. Less than 24 hours after the procedure!

Anyway... like I said, keep me in your thoughts! I'm nervous, but this is something I've wanted to do for a long time. Here's hoping it's worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! It'll be fine! You'll absolutely love it!