Looking for me?

Still interested in keeping up with me and my life "after the aisle"?
Come visit me on my new blog, Heather Drive. I hope to see you all on the other side!

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Registering and Ring Shopping

Well, it's Sunday, which usually means we stay home and watch football all day. But today, the Buffalo Bills weren't playing since they are playing Monday night, so we decided to do something with ourselves for once.

We started off by going to brunch at the Lodge at Woodcliff, a really nice place that we never would have gone to except for the fact that Michael's parents gave us a gift certificate for free brunch for two. It's this huge buffet with so much food, so we stuffed ourselves, then got to work.

We drove over to Bed Bath & Beyond and started our registry. That was fun, but completely overwhelming. I was looking forward to it but as soon as the saleslady gave me the scanner, I looked around and just thought, "Oh my god, where do I even start??" We ended up making one lap around the store and spent as much time in each section as we could bear. I wasn't really in the mood to do much comparison shopping, so we didn't look at flatware, dinnerware, sheets, etc. Instead, we generally stuck to the simpler things like kitchen gadgets, towels, and some serving pieces. We spent about an hour there and then left. We still have a lot of time until we're really going to have people using the registry, so we can go back and add stuff when we feel like it.

From there, we went across the street to the jewelry store where Michael bought my engagement ring. We wanted to take a first look at wedding bands to get an idea of what we might like and how much we should budget for the rings. Michael found something he liked pretty quickly, and seems pretty set on it, so that's good. It's a platinum band with like a brushed finish with polished edges. That's probably a pretty crappy description, but oh well. Actually, it looks pretty similar to this one: http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=3205.

For me, I thought I would just get the band with channel-set diamonds that matches my engagement ring (it's made specifically for my ring). So for me, I thought it'd be a pretty simple shopping trip. But there was only one problem--I HATED it on my finger. It was too much "stuff." It looked like diamonds had thrown up on my finger. Which, for a lot of women, I guess isn't a bad thing. In fact, I love how it looks on a lot of my friends. I could probably name at least five people I know who have diamonds in their engagement ring bands and also in their wedding bands, and it looks beautiful. Which is why I thought I'd like it on me, too. But I don't know. I'm thinking I'll have to go back sometime and try it again, maybe try on a few that are different sizes/widths/etc. but I was just not liking it. So instead, I found a really nice totally plain platinum band that I liked. Totally boring, yes, but hey... it looked nice with my engagement ring and I'm a relatively simple girl, so I don't need a whole lot of bling. We didn't buy anything at this point, so we're going to go back. We just wanted to get an idea.

So that was our lovely little Sunday. And we were back home a little after 2:00 p.m. so the day of football-watching was not completely lost. :)

1 comment:

AshleyHami said...

Hey! I found your blog through June 2008 knot!

I too am not a huge fan of channel set wedding bands..my sister has two of them on either side of her channel set wedding band - it is too much imho! Have fun shopping!