Looking for me?

Still interested in keeping up with me and my life "after the aisle"?
Come visit me on my new blog, Heather Drive. I hope to see you all on the other side!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Conversation with our priest

I work at a Catholic college, and Michael and I attend Sunday mass there. We absolutely love the priest. He's very traditional in his some of his views, yet liberal in other ways. In his homilies, he often brings in real-world examples of things and makes it entertaining. For instance, he's taken stories from the Bible and compared them to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, or experiences he had while working with prisoners at a state penetentiary. Our favorite homily was probably one in which he did an impression of Yoda.

Anyway, we decided early on in our planning process that we wanted Father Joe to officiate our wedding ceremony. However, the chapel at the college is too small, so we went and found a Catholic church that would allow us to bring in our own priest. I talked to Father Joe sometime back in the summer, and he agreed to marry us at the church. I gave him the info, and since then, I've e-mailed back and forth with him a few times to ask questions and make sure he knew all of the details. Father Joe can be sort of scatter-brained, so I recently told Michael that in the next few weeks, I really wanted to check in with him to make sure he still had the wedding on his calendar, and to see when we should meet to discuss the ceremony.

This morning, I was sitting at my desk and I guess Father Joe had a meeting with someone over here. He swung by my door and said, "Hey Heather, are you all ready to get married?"

Me: (relieved that he remembers) "Yes, it's coming up quickly!"

FJ: "Where is it again?"

Me: (laughing inside) "[Name of town]."

FJ: "Oh, yes. St. Bridget's?"

Me: "St. Patrick's."

FJ: "Right. I knew it was one of those."

Me: (still silently laughing)

FJ: "When is it? Sometime in June?"

Me: "June 21."

FJ: "OK, great. I'll make sure I'm here in town."

Me: "That would be good."

Gotta love it. I really hope he shows up on the wedding day. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: