Looking for me?

Still interested in keeping up with me and my life "after the aisle"?
Come visit me on my new blog, Heather Drive. I hope to see you all on the other side!

Monday, February 11, 2008

Finally ordered the veil

I don't know why the veil was such a difficult decision for me. Maybe because I totally brushed them off whenever we were in the bridal stores shopping for dresses. I knew from the beginning there was no way I was ever going to purchase one in the store, so I figured why even look?

Then I ended up ordering my dress from New Jersey, delivered right to my house. So no other opportunities to try on my dress with any veils.

After receiving advice on The Knot, as well as looking at bio after bio with photos of brides' dresses and their veils, I finally made a decision and placed the order. I ordered from Occansey Designs. I heard great things about them, and I love how they customize every veil they make. I found their website easy to work with, and their prices are really reasonable, so I took the plunge.

I heard that the general rule of thumb is: the veil should stop (in length) where you want the eye to stop. Because the back of my dress has some details that I don't want "lost" behind the veil, I decided to go with a longer veil. Since I'm not 100% sure where I'm going to position the veil on my head (I suspect under the hair, but am going to wait until the hair trial to decide), I ended up ordering a custom length--40". Normal fingertip length is 42". I ordered the veil in diamond white to match the dress, with matching pencil edging. I chose for it to be a single layer, "cascading cut," and with custom fullness at the comb--the width at the comb will be 54" instead of the full 72", which will make it not as "poofy" at the comb. I splurged and threw in the extra $6 to get a metal comb instead of a plastic one because I've heard that they stay in place better. Total cost of the veil was $42.98, including shipping.

Since the veil I ordered was custom, I don't have a picture of it (I'll post an update once I get it). But here is one that is VERY similar from the Occansey website. In fact, I sort of modeled my veil after this example.


Front view -- this one has pearl details along the edge, which mine obviously won't have. Also, it has a SILVER pencil edge instead of matching, and is standard fullness at the comb.
Side view -- this picture really helps to show how long it is going to be.



This photo is what made me decide to go with the cascading edges. I just love how it falls down the back and has the "wavy" sides.

I'm still a little nervous about having ordered it without knowing exactly how it will look with my dress, but I'm trying to stay confident that it doesn't really matter all that much. I only plan to wear the veil for the ceremony and photos--at the reception, off it comes!

My bridal attire is definitely coming together... I still need to make my DIY earrings to match my necklace, and I need to figure out what I'm going to do in terms of a garter(s), but I think that is it! I also need to get an appointment for my alterations--probably just a hem (although I fought so hard to try not to need one!) and a bustle. I called this morning and left a message with the woman, so it's just a matter of time now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.