Looking for me?

Still interested in keeping up with me and my life "after the aisle"?
Come visit me on my new blog, Heather Drive. I hope to see you all on the other side!

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Total Destruction

And... we're off! The kitchen project is underway.

We started at about 9:00 a.m. this morning. Our friends came over at 10:15 to help, and then my brother was over at 11. The other brother was over around 12:30 or 1:00. Then my mom was over at 3:00 or 4:00. It was crazy. My brothers went home around 6:00 (I think?) and Michael and I finally called it quits for the night around 8:30 p.m. Bless my family and friends... seriously, they helped so much. We owe them big time.

Here are a few photos from throughout the day...

Tyler and Michael, starting to peel back the carpet to get it out of there. They had fun throwing it over our balcony. Luckily, there were no unsuspecting neighbors walking below.


Goodbye, carpet.
The lovely subfloor.
The kitchen, beginning its own transformation. That is actually one of our countertops/cabinets right there in the middle of the shot. Back when we first moved in, we had to install it over the linoleum because of its size. We uninstalled it to get the linoleum out, and then we will put it back on the subfloor--it will finally be the same height as the cabinets on the other side!

Tyler, ripping up the linoleum. Fun times.


New light fixture in the dining area... yea! I think Tyler and Trevor are fixing creaking floor boards in this shot. Either that, or just ripping out/hammering down staples.
The new pantry cabinet. What a bear that thing was to put together and install. But it is done! I can't wait to see what it looks like once all of our appliances and things are back in place. So much extra storage!
A wide shot of the total destruction. The floor guy comes on Thursday. We have to live with this for three days. Not fun.
We had to relocate all of our appliances off of the floor where the wood laminate is going to be installed. As a result, our living room looks like this. On the left is our washer and dryer. On the right, in the back, is our refrigerator. It's interesting to go get your milk and juice out of a refrigerator in the living room. I'm not a great housekeeper, and I'm not even a clean freak, but this sight totally aggravates whatever OCD I may have. It's maddening. I cannot wait for it to be done and have everything put back in its place.

Our only real roadblock (so far) is that we found some rotting subfloor next to our sliding glass door that leads out to our balcony. The sliding glass door is original to the condo (built in '73, I think?), so it technically needs to go. It is very drafty. But we weren't planning on replacing it... at least not now. However, the contractor told me on the phone tonight that if we have rotting subfloor inside, it is most likely rotted underneath the sliding glass door, too. And he said to cut away the rot from the inside and leave the rot underneath the door is not structurally sound. Lovely. You have to love unexpected costs associated with these home improvement projects, don't you? But isn't that always the way it goes?

We won't know anything for sure until he comes on Thursday, but we're preparing ourselves for the worst case scenario. We'll be going to Home Depot tomorrow night to pick out a sliding glass door just in case.

No comments: