Looking for me?

Still interested in keeping up with me and my life "after the aisle"?
Come visit me on my new blog, Heather Drive. I hope to see you all on the other side!

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pro Pics, Part 1: The Girls Get Ready

On the morning of the wedding, the activity started bright and early at my mom's house. Two of my bridesmaids, Carrie and Bethany, stayed over at my mom's with me the night before.

Bethany and I slept in the spare queen bed my mom has, and we both woke up before 7:00 a.m. I remember trying to lie there quietly, and all of sudden Bethany says, groggily, "Heather! It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL out!" And it was. Sun was shining, birds were chirping. It was a great way to wake up. And there was certainly no going back to sleep after that.

We got up, showered. My mom went and got bagels and stuff for breakfast. Henry, my hair stylist practically all my life, showed up to start doing hair (ALL of us!) at 8:00 a.m.

Our photographers were scheduled to start right around noon. They are a husband/wife team. Julia was dropped off at my mom's around 11:30 a.m. This is where we begin!

When she arrived, I was getting my hair finished up (the curls had been setting all morning).

I love this picture. The look on my face is hilarious. This is when my brother called me to tell me something was wrong with his tux. "They gave me a tux jacket with FAKE POCKETS!" He yelled. This was a problem because he was trying to put a pocketsquare in.

Henry is looking at my mom and laughing in this picture, because I very calmly replied, "Well, then you just need to drive down to the shop and rip them a new one."

Bethany and my mom look on and listen, concerned. Of course, the second I hung up, it occurred to all of us that my brother is just an idiot. His pocket was stitched together. Poor kid had apparently never encountered such a thing before. Mini crisis averted.
This is my great-grandmother's rosary. She passed away in 2002 at the age of 96. I was really close to her. My grandma gave me her rosary when I was baptized/confirmed in April 2007.

The night before the wedding, it spent the night in the bushes outside of my mom's house. Putting a rosary in the bushes is supposed to bring you good weather for your wedding day.

For the most part, it worked.

Later, my bridesmaids attached it to my bouquet to serve as my "something old."

Tessa was at the house while we were getting ready. Once it was time to get in the dress, she followed me up the stairs and we were able to get this shot of her. Awww.

My mom: "Wait, wait... what does it say on your butt?" Me: "'Mrs. Newlastname.'" My mom thinks this is hilarious. The photographer proceeds to come over and take a photo of my ass. I'm not sharing that one for more than one reason. ;)

Stepping into the dress (and hoop skirt) is the way to go! No risk of messing up the hair or getting makeup on the dress.

My mom had to tie all of the bridesmaids' sashes because she was the only one who knew how to do a flat knot.

Another piece of my great-grandmother that was with me on my wedding day. This was my "something borrowed." It was her engagement ring. A few years before she died, she gave it to my mom. My mom attached it to me by lacing it into the corset back of my dress.

Once I was all laced up, Lindsay straightened out all of my layers underneath my dress. Unfortunately, we realized that I hadn't pulled the hoop skirt up high enough of my waist, so it was sticking out the bottom.

We didn't want to have to unlace it and relace again, so Lindsay had to squeeze her hands ALL the way up under my dress (inside my corset bodice!) to pull the hoop skirt up higher.
Oh. the. pain.

Who said being a bridesmaid wasn't hard work? Hoop skirt situation fixed.

Putting on my DIY jewelry.
Getting ready to go reveal myself to all of the people downstairs.

Outside for a few pictures.

I loved my flowers oh so much.

Kissing my dad.

Off we go!

My seamstress said that if I could avoid sitting before the ceremony, I should. Since we had a limo coach, I was able to stand for the ride to the church.

That's it for now... tomorrow, we'll check in and see what the guys were up to!

3 comments:

Lyndsay Breid said...

These are beautiful!!!! Everything looks stunning.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the picture of you, the black and white one right above the picture of your bouquet...you look so natural and relaxed...you are gorgeous! They are all beautiful pictures though!

Heather said...

I LOVE the ring laced up in your dress!

The pictures look great so far. Can't wait to see more!